The Bentlands in brief
We are a traditional family run pub since 1993, serving a great selection of real ales, lagers, wines and soft drinks.
Our caring staff compliment our 'Tex-Mex' inspired menu, along with an extensive range of other meals and snacks. The Bentlands makes the perfect place for a quick lunch or a relaxing after in a warm familiar environment. Open all day, everyday for food and drinks.
The full history of the Bentlands Pub
The Bentlands is a converted manor house dating back to around 1923, built by the Jenks family of the famous Wolverhampton engineering firm 'Jenks & Cattell'. The first name of the building 'Far Bentlands' originated from the bent-grass that grew wild on the fields it was built upon.
As a home it featured 3 acres of gardens, tended by two gardeners. Inside served a residential cook and two maids, living in the servants quarters at the rear of the first floor. On the ground floor was a hall, used as a sitting room and beyond that a drawing room with a sprung floor for dancing. On the left of the hall was a small morning room, during the war this was the only heated room in the house and was called the 'Igloo'. The whole house with it's tall chimneys and leaded windows gave the impression of an early steamship.
In the 1950's it was converted into a public house run by 'Atkinsons Brewery'. Eventually Atkinsons was acquired by 'Hortons Estates Ltd', then in 1958 Victor Horton married Edith Butler of the 'Mitchells & Butlers' empire and inevitably The Bentlands became part of M&B after Victor Horton was appointed to the board of directors of M&B who took over Atkinsons Brewery in 1959. M&B later merged with Bass thus ending Atkinsons final chapter.
In 1993, Alan & Jackie Burgwin took over the lease, leading us to the present day, winning national pub awards within just 3 years of the aquisition. Providing you with the excellent food, drink and service you know today.